Those who take part in any Nigeria Internet Governance Forum (NIGF) multi-stakeholder process (in-person meetings, virtual meetings, mailing list discussions, etc.) agree to:
- Treat all members of the NIGF community equally, irrespective of nationality, gender, racial or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion or beliefs, disability/challenge
,age, or sexual orientation; all stakeholders of the IGF community should treat each other with civility in both face to face and online meetings by respecting the rights, privacy, safety, and dignity of participants.
- Focus discussion or remarks on issues rather than on actors, whether they are individuals, groups, organizations or governments, and refrain from ad hominem attacks. NIGF expects individuals to exercise professionalism, consideration, and respect in their speech and actions and also refrain from harassing speech and other harassing behavior.
- Act in a reasonable, objective and informed manner when participating in and/or using any NIGF discussion platform.
- Listen and respect the views of all stakeholders when considering IGF policy issues. The IGF is a multistakeholder environment and those who take part in NIGF meetings and inter-sessional activities should acknowledge the importance of all stakeholders and seek to understand their points of view.
- Facilitate transparency and openness when participating in Internet governance-related policy discussions.
- Act fairly and in good faith with other participants in NIGF processes.
- Promote ethical and responsible behavior. Ethics and integrity are essential, and the NIGF expects all stakeholders to behave in a responsible and principled way.
Failure to adhere to the above guidelines and principles may result in removal from NIGF Secretariat-hosted activities.
SCOPE AND APPLICATION
This Code of Conduct applies to any formal gathering or event that is hosted or sponsored by NIGF, including but not limited to virtual committee meetings, written comment and any discussion groups on platforms (including social media) and settings additional thereto (each an “NIGF Event”). It applies to any and all participants in NIGF events, including but not limited to employees, members, volunteers, attendees and other vendors.